Good Ole Ranting

 Hello Everyone!


So, you know, it was a very bright idea to aspire to do this in the Florida heat, in the midst of a very hot summer. Despite that, I have transferred the data points into a google sheet document. That being said, when I import said GPS coordinates from the handy Field Map App, by scribing them painstakingly entry after entry, I either end up with a set of coordinates that are splayed around Nepal, or coordinates splayed around Svalbard. I have no doubt, that both of these places have their virtues, but they are certainly nowhere near my property!

  • 28.61329, -81.23499 are the coordinates listed for the center of my house on my property. 
  • 28.613163, 81.234905 are the coordinates for a single plot in my system.
Thankfully, this seems to be an easy fix, it seems that the coordinates within the app I was recording, do not record negative versus positive values. Honestly kind of shocking considering the app has ARC GIS integration. So, within the Sheets document, I will just make sure all the Longitudinal coordinates are negative.

We have liftoff!

That being said, I have been greatly enjoying waltzing around the yard. I feel like a naturalist of old, but with enough modern tools to analyze and ascertain my surroundings as if they were just a dictionary. The sheer amount of biodiversity, in just plants, is absolutely absurd. Among the plants, there are many that appear so similar to one another, I may have to take samples to compare inside. The various grasses are perhaps the most difficult to tell apart. I also identified a great number of new plants that will be added in the next post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Species Collection

Soil Survey Website